SSJV (a Joint Venture of Tecnicas Reunidas, Valoriza Water, AJ Lucas and WorleyParsons) nominated SPIN AU in 2012 as main subcontractor for the Design, Development, Implementation, Testing & Commissioning of the entire Plant Control System for the Southern Seawater Desalination Plant Expansion at Binningup.
The already existing plant control system encompassed process control and management of a 50GL plant. The expansion project doubled the capacity of the overall plant and involved tie-ins to the existing infrastructure.
Some of the key responsibilities as part of the scope of works included:
- Programming and configuration of SCADA, Historian and engineering servers.
- Programming of PLCs and RTU.
- Programming of all field control devices such as controllers, MMRs and VSDs.
- Configuration and commissioning of Field-bus devices/instrumentation.
- Configuration of networking equipment.
- Connections to third party package control systems.
- Provision of training.
A few of the project’s important highlights were:
- More than 10,000 hours of commissioning support with 0 safety incidents.
- More than 6000 process objects treated.
- Management of >30,000 I/O.
- Automation of all reporting services, including excel file generation, production data through automatic emails and operations and maintenance of relevant data collection.
- Merging of the existing Stage I system with SPIN’s system into a single platform with minimal shutdown period and minimal disruption to the plant operation.